Costume: She-Ra: Princess of Power
Convention: Miami Hurricon 2013
Photo Credits: Badger Studios
Being from South Florida, having a short costume is a must regardless of season due to the heat. Our con season is starting now, so it’s time to bring our my shortest skirts. She-Ra was a blast to wear! Not very recognizable by my generation, but the older con-goers definitely enjoyed it.
GA: Hi everyone, just tacking this on here: Sorry I’ve been inactive! We have a few sitting in the inbox I’m queuing now. Just getting out of finals week— you know how it is, haha. We’ll be up and running so please send in your submissions now! :D
Redid page 90! See it live here: http://tryinghuman.com/?id=94
I started reading Trying Human back when it was still in the first few chapters and it’s amazing how Emy’s art has evolved since then. I loved the artwork from the beginning, but I also love how bold her style has become. :D
ALSO. YOU KNOW. NOW WE’RE ACRONYM BUDDIES. #TH4LIFE
Step 1: Draw a random shape with the lasso tool
Step 2: Paint gems
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: PROFIT
Two people not to yet meet.
WHAT’S UP INTERNET
If you’re a gamer, you probably noticed all the new stuff being announces at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles. I’m super excited, especially about all the announcements from Sony and Nintendo.
Lots of people are excited for different consoles and their respective games, LIKE THE 3DS. So here’s your chance to win one! The winner will receive a red 3DS XL system (like new, used only a few times) with its original box, charger, manuals, and AR cards. Plus, the two latest killer apps for the 3DS, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Animal Crossing: New Leaf!
- Sadly, the 3DS is region-locked, so I am only shipping to the United States.
- Reblogs count, Likes do not. Reblog as much as you like, but try not to spam 50 reblogs in a row.
- If you make a fake, empty, giveaway blog or something like that to spam reblogs then all your entries will be invalid.
- I will need the winner’s address for shipping purposes, so you have to be comfortable with sharing this information.
The giveaway will end on Friday, June 21st and the winner will be announced on that day! Good luck!
I can has DS? Will I be a cool kid then?
Page 58 is up! http://thehues.alexheberling.com/comic/058/
Thanks for your patience!
New pages are posted every MWF
This really applies to everyone you pass by when doing this, but really. Filming my artwork or taking pictures up close as you browse or walk by WITHOUT ASKING FIRST is a really shitty thing to do and it happened repeatedly over the weekend. I started speaking up after like the second person. Ask permission before you film or take pictures of things on an artist’s table. (And respect their wishes if they say no or tell you to stop.) We work really fucking hard and it’s incredibly rude.
Are women’s magazines avoiding “serious journalism”? Guess it all depends on who’s deciding what’s serious.
The New Republic asks that question in a new article, and our biggest problem with this debate (and, to be honest, the term “longform journalism”) is that it can often run everything through a male-skewed filter of what counts as “serious journalism.” We’ve seen serious storytelling in both.
The other problem is that we’re still relying on National Magazine Awards and print-only publishers to reflect the zeitgeist. I’ve mentioned that 65% of all #longreads started out in print, but we also should spotlight the work of online publishers who are pursuing in-depth storytelling.
So, here’s a start: 21 stories from women’s magazines and sites that we’ve featured on Longreads. On Twitter, Rebecca Traister is curating some of her favorite serious work. And we’d love for you to add your favorite women’s magazine stories in the comments.
• The F Word, Jennifer Weiner
• The Big Business of Breast Cancer, Lea Goldman
• The Percentages: A Biography of Class, Sady Doyle
O, The Oprah Magazine
• ‘I Will Never Know Why’, Susan Klebold
• ‘We Thought the Sun Would Always Shine on Our Lives’, Paige Williams
• Promises of an Unwed Father, Ta-Nehisi Coates
• Is Ecstasy a Viable Treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?, Jessica Winter
• Higher Learning, Staff
• How A Gun-loving West Texas Girl Learned to Fear Assault Weapons, Haley B. Elkins
• It Happened To Me: My Parents Adopted a Murderer, Amity Bitzel
• How I Lost $500,000 for Love, Aryn Kyle
• Notes on a Scandal: Jenny Sanford Vogue Interview, Rebecca Johnson
• Sheryl Sandberg: What She Saw at the Revolution, Kevin Conley
• Susan Rice: She’s Got Game, Jonathan Van Meter
• I’m For Sale, Genevieve Smith
• My Brother, My Mother, and a Call Girl, Mara Cohen Marks
• He’s So Unusual, Jane Marie
• A Goodbye to Ambien in Dubai, Amy Schumer
• The Evolution of Ape-Face Johnson, Carolita Johnson
• What Can a Civilian Possibly Say to a Wounded Soldier?, Chloe Angyal
Share your picks in the comments
[Image: A vintage Marie Claire cover.]
Them ladies, they write serious stuff? Who knew?!
I’m a little affronted that the IHTM about the mom who ran an underground railroad for battered women isn’t on this list! That’s one of my favorite xoJane pieces of all time.
I added 8 sketch cards from TrotCon to my Etsy store. They range from $15-25 each. Go check ‘em out!
The rest of the sketch cards I did over the weekend at TrotCon.
The bottom-right card was a commission, but the rest were drawn in my downtime. :)
If you’re interested in a commission like this, the info is here: [x]
Some pictures of Madame Le Flour! We went to two stores looking for party hats at 8:30 AM this morning so the look would be complete. Chris wore the costume for awhile this morning, but it was kind of hard to breathe on account of his costume being a pillowcase. So we had the brilliant idea to put the costume on the Big Ear of Corn instead! The Corn’s first cosplay was pretty brilliant.
We’re back from TrotCon! Thanks to everyone who came by the table over the weekend. :) More photos and artwork will be coming up later, but for now I’m decompressing a bit!
I’ll be putting some of the unsold sketchcards on Etsy in the next few days, so follow me if you want to know when they go up.